How To Write An Advantages Or Disadvantages Essay
In writing task 2 you will be asked to write a discursive essay ( 250 words minimum ). You will be given a question asking you to give your opinion, and discuss a problem or issue. You could also be asked to provide solutions, evaluate a problem, compare and contrast different ideas or challenge an idea. In this post, we will be focusing on how to write a advantages/disadvantages essay .
WRITING TASK 2 Advantages/Disadvantages STRUCTURE
The structure that I advise my students to use, will be sure to get you a band score of 7+. You need to practice using this structure, with as many questions as you can, before sitting your IELTS test. This writing task 2 structure has been proven to be successful for my students and when perfected, can easily help you to achieve a high band score.
4-PARAGRAPH STRUCTURE >>
This is the introduction to the essay and where you should start off by paraphrasing the question.
There are two sentences you need in the introduction >>
Paraphrase the question
Paragraph 2 – Main Body Paragraph 1
Start the paragraph by introducing the disadvantage. This is where you need to have a topic sentence. The next sentence(s) should explain, going into detail. The third sentence should give an example.
The example you give could be something from your own experience or made up – it is ok to make up something as the examiners will not fact check your information. They want to see your ability to use English at a certain level. You could make up an example from a report, journal, newspaper or University study.
TIP >> If the question asks you if the advantages outweigh the disadvantages of something then your essay structure will change slightly. You should make sure you write about how one side is better than the other. You will also have to include this in your introduction. The side that you think outweighs the other should be written about first in main body paragraph 1. Followed by main body paragraph 2 – the more fragile argument.
SAMPLE Advantages/Disadvantages ESSAY >>
On the other hand, the primary disadvantage of having fixed punishments is that people who have committed low-level crimes may also be given harsh sentences, in the same way as those who have been sentenced for high-level crimes. This may make the system unjust, as the punishment should befit the crime. For instance, a person who may have acted in self defence, should have their case heard in full, before being given a punishment befitting of someone who has been part of a violent act.
WRITING TASK 2 BAND SCORE 9 CRITERIA >>
1 thought on “how to write an advantages or disadvantages essay”, leave a comment cancel reply.
- TOEFL Writing Correction Topics
- Writing Correction
- Speaking Mock Test
- Reading Course
- Listening Practice Tests
- FREE Practice Tests
- OET Writing Correction
- OET Reading Course
- OET Speaking Mock Test
- TOEFL Writing Correction
- PTE Writing Correction
- OET Listening Practice Tests
- OET (Occupational English Test)
- PTE (Pearson Test of English)
- Essay Task 2
Guide to Advantage Disadvantage IELTS Essay Type
- Essay Types
- Double Question
- Advantage Disadvantage
- Problem Solution
- Essay Length
IELTS advantage/disadvantage essays ask you to write about the benefits and drawbacks of a topic as well as (sometimes) asking for your opinion. This guide covers everything you need to know to complete an Academic IELTS advantage/ disadvantage essay. Let’s start preparing with Benchmark IELTS!
Table of Contents
1.1 understanding the question, 1.2 example advantage/disadvantage questions, 2.1 essay structure 1, 2.2 essay structure 2.
- 3.1 Identify key words and phrases
3.2 Organise your ideas
3.3 identify vocabulary, 4.1 introduction, 4.2 main body paragraphs, 4.3 conclusion, 5.1 complete the sample advantage/disadvantage essay, 5.2 advantage/disadvantage sample essay, 1. advantage/ disadvantage essay overview.
This section of the guide will show you how to identify an IELTS advantage/disadvantage question.
Remember, there are five main types of writing task 2 questions:
- Double question
It is very important to understand what type of question you are given in the exam so you can respond in an appropriate way: different question types will require different responses.
Advantage/disadvantage essay questions can be presented in several different ways.
Here are some examples of the way an advantage/disadvantage question may be worded:
- Discuss the advantages and disadvantages and give your opinion.
- Describe the advantages and disadvantages of _____ and give your opinion.
- What are the advantages and disadvantages of _____?
You may also see questions using synonyms for advantage and disadvantage, for example:
- What are the benefits and drawbacks of…?
Be careful, the question itself might not always use words or phrases relating to advantage/disadvantage and they could be hidden in the statement, as seen here:
- Some people believe that using a bicycle as your main form of transport has a lot of advantages , whereas others believe that it has many disadvantages . Discuss both views and give your opinion.
Here is another example of a question where you are asked to give your opinion:
- Do the advantages of … outweigh the disadvantages
After you have identified the essay type , you need to understand what you are being asked to do. To do well in the Task achievement marking component, you need to ‘ address all parts of the task’ .
This type of essay question will always be split into two parts:
- The IELTS statement
- The question
You must always write about both the advantages and disadvantages of the given topic. As we can see in example questions 1-6, sometimes you are asked to give your opinion on the question, and sometimes you are not. Let’s compare the following questions:
You are not being asked to give your opinion
Here are some example advantage/disadvantage essay questions:
In the past, when students did a university degree, they tended to study in their own country. Nowadays, they have more of an opportunity to study abroad.
Do the advantages of this development outweigh the disadvantages?
Today children spend a lot of their free time watching TV.
Do the advantages outweigh the disadvantages of this practice?
Also, read the following IELTS Essay Writing Guides
- IELTS Discussion Type Questions
- Double Question IELTS Essay Topics
- Opinion-based Task 2 IELTS Guide
- Problem Solution IELTS Writing Task Statement
The threat of nuclear weapons maintains world peace. Nuclear power provides cheap and clean energy.
The benefits of nuclear technology far outweigh the disadvantages.
To what extent do you agree or disagree?
In the past, when students did a university degree, they tended to study in their own country. Nowadays, they have the opportunity to study abroad.
What are the advantages and disadvantages of this development?
More and more people prefer to read news online rather than on paper.
Do you think the advantages of this trend outweigh the disadvantages? Give reasons for your answer and include any relevant examples from your own knowledge and experience.
2. Essay Structures for Advantage/Disadvantage Essays
There is more than one way to structure your advantage/disadvantage essay. You could take a thesis-led (opinion in the introduction) or an evidence-led (opinion in your conclusion).
You could also choose to focus on one or more than one advantage/disadvantage in each of your main body paragraphs.
The next two sections will give you two possible ways that you could structure your essay using four clearly organized paragraphs.
3. Planning your Advantage/Disadvantage Essay
Before you start writing your essay, you should give yourself 5 minutes to analyze the question and organize your ideas . Follow the tips below to create a well-planned essay!
3.1 Identify keywords and phrases
It sounds simple, but it is very important that you read the question carefully and understand what you are being asked to write about. To analyze the question, first, identify any keywords and phrases .
You should first identify the topic of the essay. If you do not write about the correct topic, you will score poorly in Task achievement . The general topic can always be found in the IELTS statement.
Let’s take a look at one of the previous examples:
The threat of nuclear weapons maintains world peace . Nuclear power provides cheap and clean energy .
The topic words are underlined and show the general topic of this essay question in nuclear weapons/power/technology .
After you have identified the general topic, you need to locate other keywords that give you more detail about the topic. In this question, the words world peace and cheap and clean energy in bold give you more information about the general topic. Therefore, your essay should only relate to these aspects of nuclear weapons/power/technology .
Now take a look at the question for our model answer at the end of this guide. Can you identify the general topic?
This is an important step that is often skipped by test-takers. By quickly writing down your key ideas, you will avoid repeating or missing any points and improve your score in both Task achievement and Coherence and cohesion .
You could use bullet points , columns , or another preferred method of writing down ideas . Here is an example for our sample essay:
Take a look at our Master Guide for a more in-depth look at idea generation and organizing your ideas.
Taking a moment to write down more uncommon vocabulary related to the essay topic will not only make you feel more relaxed in the exam but will also help you to improve your score in Lexical resources .
This doesn’t have to be a long list, just a few ideas that come into your mind. Here are some examples of the topic of studying abroad:
- Culture shock
- Language barrier
- Broaden one’s horizons
4. Writing your Advantages/Disadvantages Essay
Your introduction should be the shortest paragraph in your essay (about 40-60 words is perfect).
You need to rephrase the IELTS statement in your own words. This is known as paraphrasing (a key skill to develop for the IELTS exam).
Take a look at our example:
You can also briefly state what your essay will be about in one clear sentence. For instance:
This essay will discuss both points of view and then I will give my opinion.
If you are taking a thesis-led approach, you can use one of the following sentence starters to briefly give your opinion:
- I believe that…
- It is my belief that…
- In my opinion,…
A note on the use of the first person ‘I’: Unlike writing task 1, it is appropriate to use the first person in your writing task 2 essay. In fact, it is unavoidable when giving your opinion. But , you should not overuse ‘I’ in your essay and we recommend you limit your use to your introduction and conclusion.
Topic sentences Usually, the first sentence of your main body paragraph will be a topic sentence . The purpose of your topic sentence is to introduce the main idea of your paragraph .
You should include one topic sentence for each advantage/disadvantage . This means that, if your main body paragraphs focus on two advantages/disadvantages , then you should have two topic sentences per paragraph.
Here’s an example: One advantage of studying abroad is that students can improve their language skills.
Here are some other sentence starters you can use for your essays (you can replace the underlined words with vocabulary linked to your topic):
- One advantage of studying abroad is that ….
- Another benefit of studying abroad is that…
- One downside of studying abroad is that…
- Another downside of studying abroad is that…
Supporting sentences You should then expand on your topic sentence with a supporting sentence/sentences . Your sentence(s) could either describe a result of the advantage/disadvantage, go into more detail , or explain the reason(s) why these benefits/drawbacks occur.
Our example supporting sentence describes a result of the advantage given in the topic sentence.
Topic sentence – One advantage of studying abroad is that students can improve their language skills.
Supporting sentence – This means that when the students return to their home countries, they will have more employment opportunities.
Here are some sentences starters you can use to begin your supporting sentences:
- This is because…
- The result/consequence/reason is that…
- This means that…
- As a result/consequence,…
- In other words,…
Giving examples For all writing task 2 essay types , you must support your response with examples. Do not personalize your examples and link them to your life instead, Keep your examples more general . Also, do not refer to made-up statistics .
Here are some instances of suitable and non-suitable examples:
Suitable For example, many young people who study in an English-speaking country for a few years develop strong communication skills and have the confidence to work in an international company when they return home.
Not suitable My cousin spent three years in an English-speaking country and they got an excellent job with an international country when they came back to Spain. ( this example is too personal as it refers to the writer’s family ) ❌
According to statistics, international students are 30% more likely to get a job in an international company when they study overseas. ( this example contains a made-up statistic )
You must include a conclusion to achieve a good score in Task achievement . Your conclusion does not have to be very long, but it needs to be clear and do two main things:
- Paraphrase yourself : summarise the key points in your body paragraphs
- Give your opinion : It depends if you have taken an evidence-led or thesis-led approach, you will either be re-stating the opinion given in your introduction or giving your opinion for the first time.
Make your conclusion easy to identify for the examiner by starting with linking phrases such as:
- To sum up,…
- To summarise,…
- In conclusion,…
When you are paraphrasing the main points of your essay, you need to state that you have examined both sides of the argument (as that is what the question has asked you to do). To do this, consider using a phrase like:
In conclusion, having looked at this topic in detail, it is clear that there are both advantages and disadvantages of studying abroad .
You would need to replace the underlined section with your essay topic.
To give your opinion, you need to use a range of cohesive devices to introduce each example such as:
- From my perspective,…
- In my view,…
You then need to clearly state which side of the argument you agree with (advantage or disadvantage). Remember, your actual opinion does not matter, it is how you present your opinion using English that is important.
Here are some example sentences to do this effectively:
- In my opinion, the advantages outweigh the disadvantages.
- From my perspective, the drawbacks outweigh the benefits .
5. Example Advantage/Disadvantage Essay and Exercise
Now you’ve taken a look at how to write an advantage/disadvantage essay, let’s look at a model answer.
We have removed some of the words so you can put your knowledge to the test.
Select the correct missing words and complete the model answer.
In recent years, it has become much more common for students to complete their degree overseas instead of their house country. Many persons believe that there are significant benefits of doing this, while others argue that there are also drawbacks connected to studying abroad. This essay will discuss both points of mind and then I will give my opinion.
One advantage of study abroad is that students can improve their employee skills. This means that when the students return to their home countries, they will have more employment opportunities. An example, many young people who study in an English-speaking country for a few years develop strong communication skills and have the confidence to work in an international company when they return home. On the other hand benefit of studying abroad is that you can develop a better understanding of other cultures, Example , learning about a country’s customs, traditions and cuisines. The consequence of this is that people become more open-minded.
In the other hand, there are some disadvantages of studying abroad. One backdraw is that students may miss their friends and family and feel homesad. They may also find it difficult to connect with other students and make friends due to a language barrier . Another disadvantage is that students can experience a real culture shock when moving to another country. This is because the culture and language may be different which could lead to frustration for the student and dissatisfaction with their study experience.
To overall , it is clear that there are both advantages and disadvantages of studying abroad. In my thought, the benefits outweigh the drawbacks. Although it is true that the experience may be challenging at first, on balance , if you study abroad you will have an enriching experience that will broaden your horizons and increase your future prospects.
Leave a Reply Cancel reply
Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *
- ielts writing
- ielts listening
- ielts speaking
- ielts reading
- ielts practice test
- IELTS Sample Reports
- IELTS Sample Essays
- IELTS Sample Letters
- IELTS Vocabulary
Exam Updates & Tips!
Signup for preparation and special offers!
You have successfully joined our subscriber list.
256 Advantages and Disadvantages Essay Topics [2023 Update]
Is globalization a beneficial process? What are the pros and cons of a religious upbringing? Do the drawbacks of immigration outweigh the benefits? These questions can become a foundation for your advantages and disadvantages essay. And we have even more ideas to offer!
Our specialists will write a custom essay on any topic for $13.00 $10.40/page
There is nothing complicated about writing this kind of essay. Arguably the hardest part is choosing a topic. This article by our custom-writing team will help you with that. Here, you will find:
- great pros and cons essay topics for high school, middle school, and college;
- essay prompts and writing tips.
- 🔝 Top 10 Advantages & Disadvantages Topics
- 👍 Other Advantages & Disadvantages Topics
- ⭐ Top 10 Pros & Cons Topics
- 🆚 Other Pros & Cons Topics
- 💡 Essay Prompts
- ✍️ Writing Tips & Outline
🔝 top 10 advantages and disadvantages topics.
- Benefits of vaccination.
- Is living abroad worth it?
- Plastic surgery: for and against.
- Vegetarianism: benefits and pitfalls.
- Pros and cons of extreme sports.
- Disadvantages of having tattoos.
- Is a Master’s degree a good investment?
- Negative and positive aspects of animal testing.
- Are motorcycles convenient or dangerous?
- Learning a foreign language: pros and cons.
👍 List of Advantages and Disadvantages Essay Topics
Here’s a list of topics that touch on subjects such as education, work, traveling, living conditions, family, politics, technology, and more.
- Advantages and disadvantages of computers . You can probably think of many positive aspects of using computers. They make communication easier, they can be helpful for your studies, and you get access to a wealth of information. Yet, if you think about it, you will find plenty of disadvantages. For example, computers can break down, or they may be hacked or infected.
- Write about the advantages and disadvantages of the New Year’s Day celebration. New Year’s Day is primarily associated with family gatherings and new beginnings. However, preparation for the party often requires too much effort. Moreover, celebrating all night can have problematic consequences for one’s health.
- Write all arguments for and against Christmas celebrations. During the Christmas holidays, we celebrate family traditions and hold fun meetings. All this is accompanied by delicious food and gift sharing. But sometimes, these events bring no joy. The expenses are too high, and dinner preparation is energy-consuming.
- Advantages and disadvantages of couch surfing. Staying for free at places registered online is becoming increasingly popular among travelers. New friends and authentic communication are additional benefits of couch surfing. However, they don’t guarantee safety and comfort.
- What are the pleasant and unpleasant aspects of gift exchange? Gifts are a crucial part of celebrations such as birthdays or wedding anniversaries. Most people enjoy receiving presents, but not everyone enjoys looking for them. The difficulties of choosing a gift can spoil the holiday mood.
- Pros and cons of buying an artificial Christmas tree. A beautiful Christmas tree decorated with lights instantly creates the holiday atmosphere. If you have an artificial tree, you don’t need to get a new one each year. However, a real Christmas tree is unique and has a pleasant odor.
- What are the pros and cons of school uniforms ? Standard uniforms can save students time while dressing up in the morning. Moreover, it prevents clothes-related bullying and contributes to the discipline necessary for studying. However, such standards impose certain restrictions on children’s individuality.
- Is an official dress code at work a benefit or an obstacle? Almost every company and organization has its requirements for the employees’ appearance. On the one hand, a dress code disciplines workers and demonstrates the company’s seriousness. On the other hand, employees can resist suppressing their self-expression.
- Keeping an online blog : for and against. The Internet provides people with colossal opportunities for finding new hobbies and occupations. For example, everyone can become a blogger: all you need to do is choose a topic and a platform. However, unflattering comments, lack of interest, or extreme popularity can become a serious problem for a blogger.
- A hitchhiking journey: an enjoyable adventure or a dangerous undertaking? Hitchhiking can be a budget option for travelers. This way, people can learn more about the place they’re traveling to and make friends. However, some drivers can turn out to be dangerous.
- What are the strengths and shortcomings of intellectual property rights ? Valuable and original ideas are essential to the success of a person or a company. Intellectual property rights protect data from being stolen by competitors. Opponents of such measures believe that nobody should own ideas and that the information sphere is too vulnerable to manipulations.
- Describe the pros and cons of learning a language with a native speaker. Modern technologies make it possible to communicate with people from all around the world. This ability provides additional opportunities to learn a foreign language with native speakers. A potential downside is the difficulty of finding good teachers or understanding their accents.
- Talk about the benefits and disadvantages of alternative voting methods. Voting by mail or online is convenient for those who find it challenging to come to polling stations. Moreover, this way, people can save time. Nevertheless, the reliability of such methods is still in question.
- Being successful: what are the benefits and pitfalls? Achieving success is the goal of millions of people. It is usually associated with wealth and happiness, but there is also the other side. Successful people often feel more pressure and responsibility and make sacrifices.
- For and against family businesses . Perfect mutual understanding is what people typically expect from a family business. However, this description is more of an idea rather than a reality.
- Being creative: a gift or a curse? Society admires inspiring and mysterious artists. The creative process seems to be an easy activity, but some artists may disagree with this statement. Creativity crisis, procrastination, and lack of understanding from the public are only a few of the shortcomings they have to face.
- Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of managing your own business. In search of professional freedom, some people start a business. This way, they can have complete control and be their own boss. At the same time, entrepreneurship requires talent and significant effort. Moreover, some businesses may turn out to be unprofitable.
- What are the possible advantages and drawbacks of being a professional athlete? Sport allows people to discover the hidden capabilities of their bodies. Such activities make them stronger and more disciplined, but doing sports full-time requires many sacrifices. Professional athletes endure significant stress and injuries, so this lifestyle is not for everyone.
- Is having young parents a benefit or an obstacle?
- Advantages and disadvantages of being married
- For and against working part-time after school
- What are the pros and cons of writing essays?
- Positive and negative aspects of returning to school as an adult
- Is it better to be living in a small town or a big city ?
- The benefits and shortcomings of living in a large country
- Do the positive aspects of living in the countryside outweigh the negative ones?
- Is working on a rotational basis beneficial or harmful?
- Is it better to be working remotely or in an office?
- Is working with the help of technology beneficial or risky?
- Advantages and drawbacks of physical labor
- Working with customers: perks and shortcomings
- What are the beneficial aspects of working with animals?
- Pros and cons of working with children
- Is making your hobby into a job profitable or disadvantageous?
- What are the pros and cons of changing jobs?
- Quitting a job or being fired: which option is better?
- Working in a multilingual setting: benefits and drawbacks
- Is having a job that requires a lot of traveling exciting or challenging?
- Choosing to pursue a creative profession: pros and cons
- Is hiring older or younger employees more beneficial?
- Privately-owned companies : benefits and pitfalls
- What are the advantages and disadvantages of working for the government?
- Business competition vs. monopoly
- What is better: owning a business with other people or partnership business models?
- Owning a car vs. other modes of transportation
- What are the benefits and shortcomings of using public transportation ?
- Is being self-employed better than working for somebody else?
- Describe the pros and cons of knowing or learning multiple languages
- Choosing to pursue a technical profession : for and against
- What are the advantages and disadvantages of pursuing a humanitarian career?
- Is receiving an education online a waste of time or a good investment?
- Perks and disadvantages of studying on Saturdays
- What are the pros and cons of reducing the length of the summer vacation?
- Completing online courses , classes, or training: arguments for and against
- Learning foreign languages online vs. in class
- What is more effective: private tutoring or group learning?
- Open group discussions during class: for and against
- Is it more beneficial to work in groups or alone?
- Describe the strengths and weaknesses of studying with textbooks
- What are the pros and cons of learning with interactive media?
- Using traditional vs. new methods of teaching
- Is taking tests better than answering questions in a free form?
- Advantages and disadvantages of using exams as a primary source of knowledge assessment
- Giving students different tasks according to their grades: pros and cons
- Is separating students according to their behavior and performance efficient or harmful?
- Strengths and weaknesses of using multilingual online dictionaries
- Extracurricular activities: pros and cons
- Studying and having a part-time job : benefits and obstacles
- Going to a university in your town vs. moving to another town
- Is living in a dormitory preferable to living at home while studying in college?
- Entering a fraternity or a sorority during college years: arguments for and against
- Living with parents vs. living separately from them
- Is living alone burdensome or delightful?
- What are the obstacles and benefits of having a long-distance relationship?
- Having friends that live abroad or in other cities: advantages and disadvantages
- Being in a relationship vs. being single
- Pros and cons of early marriages
- Visiting the most popular places for tourists: for and against
- What hardships and benefits come with living in the most visited places in the world?
- What positive and negative outcomes do countries and cities that encourage tourism face?
- Pros and cons of visiting unexplored places
- Is it better to travel on your own or with friends?
- Having a tour guide vs. traveling without anyone’s help
- Traveling by car: advantages and disadvantages
- What is better: hiking alone or with other people?
- Short vs. long hiking trips
- Is it better to be tall or short?
- Being a foreigner in a country where you live: benefits and pitfalls
- Listening to music at home vs. live
- Watching movies at home vs. seeing them in theaters
- Is it better to have children early or later in life?
- Being the only child: advantages and disadvantages
- Perks and drawbacks of having siblings
- Being the oldest vs. the youngest sibling
- Describe the pros and cons of sharing items with other people
- Is it better to be living together or apart while being in a relationship ?
- Living in a small apartment: pros and cons
- What are the arguments for and against living in a big house?
- Renting or purchasing a house vs. an apartment
- What are the pros and cons of having a small pet?
- Living in the city center vs. the suburbs
- What benefits and pitfalls come with having a diverse cultural background ?
- Is being a famous actor or musician a positive or negative experience?
- Being a leader or taking up a position of leadership : positive and negative sides
- Going to a private school vs. a public school
- Is it better to have a big or small family?
- Having many friends vs. having few friends
- What is more efficient: being a night owl or an early riser?
- Is waking up early more burdensome than waking up late?
- What are the dangers and benefits of dieting ?
- Does fast food have any advantages?
- Arguments for and against cooking at home
- Bringing food to work or school vs. eating at a cafeteria
- Positive and negative outcomes of regular physical activity
- Rapid technological progress: arguments for and against
- Is it preferable to live in a cold or hot climate?
- Living close to the water (river, lake, sea, or ocean): pros and cons
- What are the positive and negative aspects of countries that have rainy or windy weather?
- Is direct democracy more efficient than representative democracy?
- Pros and cons of various types of government ( democracy , autocracy, monarchy)
⭐ Top 10 Pros and Cons Essay Topics
- Advantages of ecotourism
- Pros and cons of facial fillers
- Instant foods: good or bad?
- Is international marriage worth it?
- Classroom debates: pros and cons
- Student loans: benefits and pitfalls
- Working with friends: for and against
- Drawbacks of having a double major
- Arguments for and against quitting social media
- Is working abroad a good or bad experience?
🆚 Pros and Cons Topics for Essays
- Write about the advantages and disadvantages of the United Nations . The UN is a well-known international organization. Its activities aim to support human rights, establish friendly relations between countries, and promote peace. These goals are admirable, but is the organization effective enough in achieving them?
- Is consuming sugar beneficial or harmful? Recently, the media started promoting the idea that sugar is the leading cause of many diseases. On the one hand, we are discouraged from consuming it. On the other hand, carbons are necessary for the human body to receive essential microelements, such as glucose.
- Pros and cons of using Wikipedia . Wikipedia is a free online encyclopedia. It’s a popular source of information on countless subjects, from cosmology to literature. It often reveals various aspects of a topic that are interesting to the reader. However, since anyone can edit it, you can never be sure of the information’s accuracy.
- Benefits and drawbacks of living in a multicultural society. Society is becoming more diverse, and immigration is commonplace. Moreover, freedom of choice allows people to adhere to any traditions that are attractive to them. Such conditions help us develop multifaceted humanity but can potentially lead to conflicts.
- Write about the pros and cons of urbanization . In cities, the population is continuously growing, while in rural areas, it decreases. In a metropolis, people have a greater choice for their activities, and their social circle is wider. However, urbanization leads to overpopulation and an increase in stress levels.
- What are the pros and cons of online therapy? Therapy can be a powerful source of motivation and emotional balance. Some people may find it challenging to visit mental health specialists, which makes online consultations a practical option. However, insufficient understanding of facial expressions or faulty Internet connection are some of the obstacles to using this format.
- Describe the strengths and weaknesses of business investments . Investing is a popular way to receive additional passive income. Such activities don’t require too much effort and can be very promising. However, they also have disadvantages, including high risks and the need to have significant starting capital.
- Arguments for and against watching TV shows. Watching TV shows is a trendy pastime. A good plot and interesting characters can be great entertainment. However, some TV shows take too much time to watch, and some plot twists can be disappointing.
- Discuss the pros and cons of freelanc ing. The advantages include an opportunity to decide where and when to work and choose the tasks. At the same time, a freelancer needs to communicate more with customers, and the income can be uneven.
- The ubiquitous use of surveillance cameras: guaranteed security or loss of privacy? We can see security cameras everywhere, including stores, banks, and houses. They are designed to contribute to our security. However, many believe that in this way, people are losing privacy. Moreover, surveillance technology is quite expensive, and its effectiveness is doubtful.
- Advantages and disadvantages of an authoritarian teaching style . Representatives of the teaching profession often choose a specific model of behavior. For example, an authoritarian teacher is good at motivating and disciplining students. At the same time, this behavioral model can discourage children and cause resistance.
- What are the pros and cons of clinical trials? Clinical trials are created to prove the effectiveness of a specific cure. Patients can get unique medical treatment, which may help other patients in the future. Trials are also associated with risks since unexpected side effects are possible.
- Kindergartens : beneficial social interaction or stress for a child? Preschool is the first step in education for children. In kindergartens, kids form social skills and acquire basic knowledge. Nevertheless, some parents doubt whether it is worth it.
- Write about the advantages and disadvantages of referendums. Referendums can be used to solve political problems. They help governments understand the public’s attitude towards possible changes. However, the conduct of a referendum can be subject to manipulation.
- For and against women’s military service . Gender equality is becoming a part of various spheres of activity. However, in some fields, transformations are occurring slower. Women have already demonstrated their ability to be soldiers and continue to do so. Nevertheless, some army units still question their effectiveness.
- Gun ownership : advantages and disadvantages. The issue of weapons ownership causes serious disputes between politicians. Those who advocate for this idea are sure that people need protection. The opponents of gun ownership believe that gun-related accidents need to be prevented.
- Pros and cons of being optimistic . People who are positive worry less and achieve their goals easily. But optimism can also be an obstacle. For instance, an optimist can underestimate a threat and fail to take cautionary measures.
- What are the pros and cons of being selfish? Selfishness is often perceived negatively in society. Individuals who are showing this quality risk becoming outcasts. However, people may misunderstand selfishness because it sometimes manifests as self-care.
- Benefits of different societal classes
- Market economy vs. free market
- Outline the advantages and disadvantages of a planned economy
- Pros and cons of party systems : one, two, or multiple parties?
- Different voting systems (choice voting, Electoral College): which one is more efficient?
- Different economic systems (capitalism, socialism, and mixed economy)
- Is having a parliament a benefit or an obstacle?
- Pros and cons of advertising and its different mediums
- Having a laptop vs. having a desktop computer
- Is the development of artificial intelligence (AI) beneficial or harmful?
- Cloning and genetic modifications: dangers and advantages
- What are the pros and cons of using old research for new studies?
- Is scientific advancement in medicine beneficial or dangerous?
- The growing use of the Internet of Things (IoT) in people’s daily lives: pros and cons
- Storing files in the cloud vs. on physical storage devices
- Is having one full-time job more efficient than multiple part-time jobs?
- Networking to build more connections: pros and cons
- Advantages and disadvantages of volunteering
- Having a fixed vs. a flexible schedule
- Being a vegetarian or vegan vs. eating everything
- What are the strengths and weaknesses of having multiple jobs?
- Are hot or cold climates more beneficial for farmers?
- Choosing to pursue a rare profession: benefits and pitfalls
- What are the possible benefits and obstacles of pursuing a trendy job?
- Technical advancement in society: a threat or a welcome change?
- Arguments for and against pursuing extreme sports as a hobby
- Going to a music festival: an unforgettable experience or a nightmare?
- Pros and cons of having access to the Internet
- Are Internet regulations a safety measure or an infringement of rights?
- The positive and negative effects of globalization
- What are the advantages and downsides of popular culture ?
- Are stereotypes productive in any way?
- Positive and negative outcomes of the rising population on the planet
- The increasing lifespan of people: pros and cons
- The ability to obtain a driver’s license at sixteen vs. eighteen years old
- The right to work without parents’ permission at sixteen years old: pros and cons
- Dangers and possible advantages of global warming
- Space travel and exploration: a good idea or waste of money?
- Arguments for and against television
- Is open access to books and movies beneficial or damaging?
- Is oral communication better than written communication?
- Nonverbal communication : positive and negative sides
- What are the positive and negative aspects of Facebook (and other social platforms)?
- Is online dating dangerous or advantageous?
- Having a pen pal: advantages and disadvantages
- What is more efficient: using digital or film cameras?
- Arguments for and against using email as the primary source of conversation
- Is calling better than texting ?
- Describe the pros and cons of online communication
- Is being open and active on social media dangerous or profitable?
- Pros and cons of different sources of power (gas, oil, wind, solar, nuclear, and others)
- Describe the advantages and disadvantages of renewable energy
- Recycling and upcycling: benefits and pitfalls
- Pros and cons of organic materials and products
- Plastic and other synthetic materials : life saver or toxic waste?
- Possible benefits and obstacles of using credit cards
- Arguments for and against different types of financial aid
- What are the advantages and downsides of having health insurance ?
- Life insurance : advantages and disadvantages
- Free health care: a longer life expectancy or more logistical challenges?
- Would a free introductory course in higher education improve academic performance or worsen it?
- Describe the pros and cons of taxes
- Is demonetization a success or failure?
- Arguments for and against vaccines
- Are plastic surgeries ethical or not?
- Shopping online vs. in brick-and-mortar stores
- What is more convenient: reading paper books or electronic books?
- Using DVDs vs. streaming platforms for watching movies
- What are the benefits and obstacles of buying music online?
- Storing medical records and other important information online: pros and cons
- Is online banking safe or not?
- Possible risks and benefits of making investments
- Video games and online games: good pastime or waste of time?
- Making movies based on source materials in other media: pros and cons
- Getting news from online sources vs. reading print media
- Hourly wages and salaries: what is more beneficial?
- Can having a competitive working environment improve or decrease productivity?
- Arguments for and against irregular working shifts : working at night, on weekends, or on holidays
- Pros and cons of services with paid memberships and subscriptions
- Sales, special offers, and coupons: a marketing tool or a real opportunity to save money?
- Positive and negative effects of businesses outsourcing to different countries
- Arguments for and against moving businesses from the city center to the outskirts
- Recruiting one’s employees for new positions vs. hiring new people
- Finding work through connections and relatives: benefits and downsides
- Pros and cons of seeking a job online
- Care facilities and nursing homes for elderly: advantages and disadvantages
- What are the possible beneficial and harmful effects of having a routine?
- Small business or a big organization: which one has more benefits?
- Buying locally manufactured and grown products vs. buying imported goods
- What are the possible pros and cons of spending more time with teachers than with parents?
- Arguments for and against process automation
- Are robots that replace humans at work dangerous or effective?
- Is reducing the working week beneficial or harmful?
- What are the major benefits and drawbacks of having many national holidays?
- College: to go or not to go?
- Working after high school: advantages and disadvantages
- Taking a gap year before continuing education: is it worth it?
- What benefits and obstacles come with continuing your education ( master’s and Ph.D. degrees)?
Need more essay ideas? Feel free to use our topic generator !
💡 Pros and Cons Essay Prompts
Pros and cons of living in a big city essay.
For your essay, you can consider the following benefits of living in a big city:
- There are many employment opportunities. Since big cities are places with many companies of different industries, it might be easier to find a job.
- Big cities have better infrastructure. It includes international airports, various dining options, and other opportunities.
The main downsides of living in a big city include the following:
- Higher living costs. Although you can find a job that suits you, living in a big city requires more money.
- High crime rates. The statistics say that big cities usually have higher crime rates than smaller ones.
Pros and Cons of Abortion Essay
Here are some examples of the procedure’s benefits:
- Abortions give women control over their bodies. The choice of whether or not to have children is a right of every woman.
- Every child should be a wanted child. Having children is an enormous responsibility that requires time, money, and energy. Unwanted pregnancies might result in child abuse and maternal depression and have other negative consequences.
You can also write about the following disadvantages of abortions:
- Abortion may lead to future medical problems for the mother. Negative consequences for a woman may include health complications such as infection or heavy bleeding.
- Abortion might result in psychological trauma. Women who undergo an abortion have a high chance of having depression.
Advantages and Disadvantages of Social Media Essay
Consider these arguments in favor of social media for your essay:
- Social media is an excellent place for online marketing. Nowadays, every big and small company promotes its services online.
- Information spreads online instantly. Thanks to social media, we can immediately receive and share all the urgent news.
And these are the cons you might want to write about:
- Lack of privacy. Location and personal information can be easily shared online and used against you.
- Lack of intimacy. Whether it is a family or friends’ reunion, everyone tends to be less engaged in conversations, instead preferring to scroll on the phone.
Federalism Advantages and Disadvantages Essay
Here are some advantages of federalism for you to write about:
Receive a plagiarism-free paper tailored to your instructions.
- Federalism supports political participation and policy innovation. Thanks to federalism, we have benefits such as child labor laws and women’s right to vote.
- Federalism encourages groups, individuals, and social movements to help shape public policy and participate in it. It is possible because of the two levels of government that federalism creates.
Now, have a look at the cons of federalism:
- Federalism creates economic disparities across states. It leads to competition between states to attract businesses by lowering regulations and taxes.
- Federalism cuts off federal efforts to address national problems. For example, health care insurance could not be made more accessible to Americans due to legal challenges.
Pros and Cons of Immigration Essay
Immigration has benefits as well as pitfalls. Take a look at the positive aspects first:
- Immigration stimulates economic growth. Immigrants contribute to the labor force, which results in economic development.
- Immigration builds a multicultural society. Because of the immigrants, one country can be more diverse.
And here are the cons that you may consider writing about:
- Immigration might result in a higher unemployment rate. Since immigrants are often willing to work for a lower wage, native-born workers might be displaced.
- Immigration might lead to higher housing costs. Immigrants in limited housing stock areas might contribute to reducing living standards and increasing housing prices.
Pros and Cons of Working in a School Cafeteria Essay
Here are some of the arguments in favor of working in a cafeteria:
- Free lunches for workers. Working with the food, you get to have lunches at your workplace for free.
- Flexible shifts. You can work short hours to keep up with your studies.
However, there are also plenty of downsides, including the following:
Just $13.00 $10.40/page , and you can get an custom-written academic paper according to your instructions
- Low wages. The school cafeteria pays minimum wage, which is often not enough.
- Reduced working hours. In a cafeteria, there’s no opportunity to work and earn more.
Essay on Advantages and Disadvantages of Internet
The Internet has plenty of advantages you can cover, including the following:
- You can learn about virtually anything you want online. There are countless resources on the Internet, and it’s possible to access them from any part of the world.
- Unlimited communication. You can reach out to anyone from any part of the globe.
It also has many drawbacks, such as:
- There is a lot of spam on the Internet. We receive advertisements and other unimportant information through emails. Besides, there are many unconfirmed facts online.
- Leaking of personal information. We regularly upload a lot of personal information online. Unfortunately, it might be easily leaked or stolen.
✍️ How to Write a Pros and Cons Essay
Even if you do not have the necessary writing experience, your chances of getting an A+ for this task are relatively high. All you need to do is:
- Think of a good pros and cons topic. Keep reading to find the best topic for your paper.
- Make a list of all advantages and disadvantages and give details about each item. It can help you make a template for your future essay. Make sure to have enough points to cover.
- Draw conclusions on whether something is overall good or bad. Show the results of your research and answer the question your essay asks.
- Check out our article on essay writing to learn how to complete your assignment successfully.
Pros and Cons Essay Outline
The advantages and disadvantages essay should have the following structure:
- Introduction. Briefly introduce your topic, give some background information, and write your thesis statement that covers both sides of the issue.
Studying abroad might be a great experience filled with unforgettable memories, but it also has some financial and psychological pitfalls.
- Main Body. This part introduces both sides of the argument, starting with the positive aspects.
- Pros: introduce the advantages.
Being an international student, you get to meet people from all over the world and experience a new culture first-hand.
- Cons: introduce the disadvantages.
However, you might feel homesick and experience culture shock while studying in another country.
- Conclusion. Summarize your essay by restating your thesis and illustrating your most important arguments for and against the thing in question. If necessary, state whether the pros outweigh the cons. Finish your paper with a strong statement connecting all of your ideas.
Although being an international student has both positive and negative sides, it can bring you many unforgettable memories.
We hope you found the best topic for your pros and cons essay. Let us know what topic you’ve chosen, and don’t forget to share this article with your friends!
- 255 Unique Essay Topics for College Students [2023 Update]
267 Music Essay Topics + Writing Guide [2023 Update]
- 256 Satirical Essay Topics & Satire Essay Examples 
- 205 Essay Topics for Grade 8, 9, 10, 12 + Writing Tips 
- 220 Best Science and Technology Essay Topics to Write About
- Pro/Con Essay: Brigham Young University
- Abortion: World Health Organization
- Key Facts on Abortion: Amnesty International
- 7 Financial Pros and Cons of Living in a Big City: Debt.com
- Advantages and Disadvantages of Urban Living: haart
- Should Abortion Be Legal?: ProCon.org
- Advantages and Disadvantages of Social Media: Medium
- The Pros and Cons of Social Networking: Lifewire
- Pro and Con: Social Media: Encyclopedia Britannica
- Advantages and Disadvantages of Federalism: Lumen Learning
- Federalism: Cornell University
- Federalism: Stanford University
- Pros and Cons of Immigration: Economics Help
- The Pros & Cons of Immigration Reform: Investopedia
- School Cafeteria Pay & Benefits Reviews: Indeed
- Being a School Cafeteria Worker: The Balance Careers
- Advantages and Disadvantages of the Internet: Edraw Software
- Outlining: Harvard University
- Outlining Strategies: Walden University
- Essay Planning: Outlining with a Purpose: San José State University
- Share to Facebook
- Share to Twitter
- Share to LinkedIn
- Share to email
Usually,this type of essay made me to feel uncomfortable but samples helped me to realize my mistakes
Thank you for your feedback, Hoyden!
I had a hard time writing my advantages and disadvantages essay. Thanks to your article on advantages and disadvantages essay writing, I have a clue on how to finish it.
Interesting topics for essays on advantages and disadvantages! Timely help for the students searching for ideas for advantages and disadvantages essay. Thanks!
Recommended for You
Nationalism Essay: Topics, Examples, & Tips
A nationalism essay is focused on the idea of devotion and loyalty to one’s country and its sovereignty. In your paper, you can elaborate on its various aspects. For example, you might want to describe the phenomenon’s meaning or compare the types of nationalism. You might also be interested in...
Coral Reef Essay: Descriptive Writing How-to Guide
Coral reefs can be called one of the most amazing things created by nature. These structures can be found in tropical and temperate waters. Like many other unique natural phenomena, coral reefs are influenced by human activity these days. This negative impact is one of the significant issues to consider when...
413 Science and Technology Essay Topics to Write About 
Would you always go for Bill Nye the Science Guy instead of Power Rangers as a child? Were you ready to spend sleepless nights perfecting your science fair project? Or maybe you dream of a career in science? Then this guide by Custom-Writing.org is perfect for you. Here, you’ll find...
Canadian Identity Essay: 20 Essay Topics and Writing Guide
Canadian identity is something that has become really important for many Canadians in the past fifty years. Canada is a big, multinational country with its own traditions, culture, and history. However, because of quite a large number of foreigners and even Americans, its culture and people are associated with the...
256 Satirical Essay Topics & Satire Essay Examples 
A satire essay is a creative writing assignment where you use irony and humor to criticize people’s vices or follies. It’s especially prevalent in the context of current political and social events. A satirical essay contains facts on a particular topic but presents it in a comical way. This task...
Your mood leaves a lot to be desired. Everything around you is getting on your nerves. But still, there’s one thing that may save you: music. Just think of all the times you turned on your favorite song, and it lifted your spirits! So, why not write about it in a music essay? In this article, you’ll find all the information necessary for this type of assignment: 267 brilliant music...
How to Write an Advantages and Disadvantages Essay
Why Write An Advantages and Disadvantages Essay?
Tips for writing an advantage and disadvantage essay:, how to write an advantages and disadvantages essay:, why this essay is important:, the ielts exam:, other ways to say "advantages and disadvantages", what you will be evaluated on.
There are many different types of essays that students will be expected to write throughout their academic career. The same goes for students that are learning English as a second language or foreign language.
- Teachers assign certain essays to students because they feel it gives the student a chance to practice their writing skills to the fullest, while it gives teachers a great medium through which they can evaluate their students' learning.
Out of all the different essays that are possible for a teacher to assign, one that serves both native English speakers and English learners well is an advantages and disadvantages essay .
- With this essay writing process there can be advantages to essay writing and disadvantages of essay writing for different levels of writers with different experience and knowledge on the whole process.
Advantages of Essay Writing:
While essay writing can have its difficulties, it also shows certain advantages to the writer. Here are some possible advantages of essay writing:
- It allows for critical thinking
- It pushed writers to make different arguments
- Writers learn to observe different perspectives and topic points
Disadvantages of Essay Writing:
Essay writing can also be a daunting task. Here are some possible disadvantages of essay writing:
- Writers need to have a clear organizational plan
- Structure and placement are essential to the flow of the essay's points and topics
- Writers will need to have a clear conclusion and thesis statement outlining the entire essay's topics and thoughts
1. Understand an Advantage and Disadvantage
Before you can write an advantages and disadvantages essay, you must first understand what these two words mean.
- Native English speakers are likely already familiar with these definitions, however, students in primary school may need some explanation.
- Your teacher should explain what an advantage is and what a disadvantage is by giving an example that's age-appropriate and level-appropriate.
Younger students may understand an example like, "An advantage of doing my homework when I get home from school is that I have the entire evening to play. A disadvantage is that I cannot watch my favorite show as soon as I get home from school."
After this, the teacher can give less explicit examples and see if students can come up with some ideas on their own.
College students should already have experience with this kind of essay and they will, therefore, get a much more complicated question that requires research, planning and thought.
- In addition to this, English learners who are university students should also be given an example by their teacher that's appropriate for their age and level.
International students might respond well to something like "What's an advantage and disadvantage of studying abroad during college?"
It's also a good idea to look up synonyms of "advantages and disadvantages" to have the best understanding of the term possible.
"Pros and cons" is quite similar and might be easier for some students to digest since it's a term they've most likely heard before.
2. Think About Advantages and Disadvantages in Your Own Life
A great exercise to help you prepare yourself for writing an advantages and disadvantages essay is to think about your own experiences with the topic.
- Think of a time you wanted to make a decision about something, but you had voices in your head telling you to do the opposite.
- Or you had a discussion with your parents and they were trying to convince you to do things differently.
- Whatever it was, there's a chance that you had to write your own version of an advantages and disadvantages essay in your mind, without even realizing it.
- This will not only help you to get in the right mindset for writing this essay, but it will maybe even inspire you to choose a topic that you've already had personal experience with.
- Of course, anything you've had personal experience with is a good place to start.
3. Choose a Topic
If you weren't able to think of any intriguing topics to write about in your walk down memory lane, you'll have to look elsewhere to find something else to base your essay on.
- There are tons of places you can go online
- You can take the time to visit the library to find ideas about advantages and disadvantages topics
- You can also talk to your family and friends to see if they have any ideas that are worth writing about
- It will also, of course, be easier to write your essay overall.
That being said, there will also be instances in which you won't be able to choose your topic.
- Advantages and disadvantages writing prompts are very common on English exams.
- This has both its own advantages and disadvantages to it.
- An advantage is that you don't have to think of a topic yourself.
- But a disadvantage is that if you're not familiar with the topic given or you're unsure about what it's asking, it can be difficult to write a strong advantages and disadvantages essay that will get you the points you need on the test.
3.1 List of Example Topics
Unless you're given the topic directly on your test, you will otherwise have to think of your own topic, especially if it's just for a regular assignment. Luckily, there are many topic examples out there you can use to help you get started, or that will at least help you find inspiration for a similar topic:
- What are the advantages and disadvantages of using technology in the classroom?
- Many people are able to work online and can, therefore, live anywhere. What are the advantages and disadvantages of this?
- What are the advantages and disadvantages of buying a home instead of renting one?
- What are the advantages and disadvantages of owning a car?
- E-readers have become extremely popular in recent years. What are the advantages and disadvantages of this?
- Many products you use are imported from other countries. What are the advantages and disadvantages of this?
- Today, recent graduates are choosing to live at home. What are the advantages and disadvantages of this?
4. Brainstorm Advantages vs. Disadvantages
Once you've decided on a topic that intrigues you, or you know what topic you're being assigned on your exam, it's time to get down the meat of the essay, which is the actual advantages and disadvantages you'll need to write about.
- The best and easiest way to do this is by simply folding a paper in half vertically, or creating a box with two side-by-side sections.
- Label one as "advantages" and the other as "disadvantages" and write all the ideas that come to mind beneath each section.
- You should then add some details and examples under each idea, and ideally, you should decide on which advantages and disadvantages are the most crucial to your argument.
5. Choose a Side
Although an advantages and disadvantages essay should be rather unbiased, it's okay to be leaning toward one side more so than the other.
- This will help you to gain more perspective when writing your essay, and also leave the reader with your own thoughts in your conclusion.
- However, sometimes your teacher will request that you completely leave your own opinions out of the essay.
- Therefore, just be sure of what's required on the assignment because every teacher and every class is different.
The next thing you will need to do is outline your essay and eventually write it.
- What will need to be included in your essay will be different depending on your level.
- For instance, young students may only be required to have two body paragraphs, whereas college students will be required to have more than that unless it's a short answer response.
- Nevertheless, there is ultimately a widely accepted standard when it comes to writing an advantages and disadvantages essay:
- Introduction: Paraphrase the question/topic and briefly mention some of the advantages and disadvantages you will discuss in the paper.
- Body Paragraph One: Introduce the main advantage. Give supporting details and examples.
- Body Paragraph Two: Introduce the main disadvantage. Give supporting details and examples.
- Conclusion: Re-iterate the topic question. Summarize the main points and if applicable, say whether you think there are more advantages or disadvantages.
For your outline, you can create headlines and write what you plan on saying beneath each one.
- If you have to write more body paragraphs, do the same.
- When it comes time to write the essay, drag your points from your outline to your paper, and make sure you use transitions in order to connect each point together.
Knowing how to write an advantages and disadvantages essay is part of perfecting your skills in English proficiency.
- People need to understand how to think about the advantages and disadvantages of the choices they make in life every day.
- Learning how to write an essay like this will help you feel calmer when making important decisions.
- This type of work is one of the best ways to really practice writing a solid essay
- This will help you out in your future when your assignments are more difficult
For students studying English as an international language, at some point, it's very likely that you'll have to take the IELTS exam.
- The IELTS exam, or the International English Language Testing System exam, is required for people of non-English speaking countries that want to study or work in a country where English is the main language for communication.
A student who's from a country where English is not the native language will have to pass this test in order to get accepted into a U.K. university or universities in other English-speaking countries that require the same test.
Although you'll be writing an advantages and disadvantages essay, you'll want to try and find other vocabulary words to describe this.
There are plenty of other ways to say "advantages and disadvantages," and it's a good idea if you can use these other terms as much as possible in your essay in order to add some variety:
- Pros and cons
- Benefits and drawbacks
- Nice parts and not-so-nice parts
- Good and bad aspects
- Pluses and Minuses
- This outweighs this
Hopefully, you had no problem with writing your advantages and disadvantages essay, and you won't be too worried as you wait for your grade.
- This in itself is a major advantage of essay writing because you can get feedback on how you're progressing as a student.
- Teachers will have different criteria for grading different students, and this all depends on a lot of different factors.
- For instance, English language learners will be graded on their use of vocabulary, their grammatical accuracy and the coherence and cohesion between the paragraphs.
- Therefore, it's a good idea to brush up on these things and ask your teacher if you need any clarification on any aspect of the essay.
If you aren't an English language learner, then there are many different reasons you'd be required to write an advantages and disadvantages essay.
- Because of this, your evaluation will be unique in many ways, too.
- In the case of younger students who are just learning how to exercise their writing muscles, teachers may grade a bit more generously, but will really be checking for how well the students have followed directions, made their points and worked their way through the writing process.
- It's also important to keep in mind that while most advantages and disadvantages essays can be written based on experience and common knowledge, college students may really have to do some research to support the content in their essay.
How to Start a Critique Paper
10 Good Transitions for a Conclusion Paragraph
How to Choose Titles for Literature Reviews
How to Write a Fifth-Grade Essay
Simple Topics for Research Papers
How to Make a Portfolio for School
How to Write a Chapter Summary Template
How to Write an Anecdotal Essay
- IELTS Advantage: IELTS Advantages and Disadvantages Essay Lesson
- IELTS Buddy: IELTS Advantage Disadvantage Essay Lesson
- IELTS Advantages and Disadvantages
- Why is essay writing very useful for students?
<!--StartFragment-->I am a current senior studying at the University of Missouri - Columbia with a major in Journalism and a minor in Sociology. I have interests in photojournalism, documentary journalism and design fields. <!--EndFragment--><!--EndFragment--><!--EndFragment-->
Here are suggested study plans for you to make the most of the course
Tips for writing advantages and disadvantages essays
Most questions in the IELTS Academic Writing section fit into a few categories such as opinion essays, discussion essays, problem solution essays, double question essays, advantages & disadvantages essays. What do you have to do if you get the last one? How should you approach advantages & disadvantages essays in the IELTS Writing test? What is the essay structure and the main tips to write it?
What are advantages and disadvantages essays about?
You will notice that questions for IELTS advantages and disadvantages essays can be worded in several different ways. However, all of them test your ability to analyse the benefits and drawbacks of a particular matter or problem. For example, you can come across such wordings:
Generally, we can divide advantages & disadvantages essays in two types:
Type 1 asks you to simply discuss the advantages and disadvantages.
Type 2 asks you to discuss the advantages and disadvantages AND give your opinion on whether the advantages outweigh the disadvantages or vice versa.
Task 1 does not ask for our opinion, so you should not include this information in your answer. In Task 2, you have to say if the advantages are stronger than the disadvantages. For example, there are a huge number of advantages to learning the news online, but there is one huge disadvantage (reliability and accuracy of information) that stops most people from reading them that way and therefore the disadvantages outweigh the advantages. Each of the types of essays requires a different approach.
READ ABOUT: How to link ideas in IELTS essays
Ways to write an essay
There are at least two different ways to write an advantages and disadvantages essay. However, we suggest the best and the easiest ones to complete the task if you get in your IELTS exam.
Step 1. Analyse the task.
Do not start writing immediately. First, read the statement and underline key information. This will help you to better understand what you have to write about and what you don’t have to do, i.e. focus on the specific issue.
Next, paraphrase the statement for yourself to understand it better — at this point you can use simple language.
Take IELTS with confidence
Start your IELTS Grade online course
GET STARTED FOR FREE
Step 2. Plan your essay.
In both cases you will have to brainstorm the ideas for your essay. Think about the benefits and drawbacks of the issue that you have to write about. Write them down using bullet points. Spend a few minutes on this.
Now, you can choose between thinking about details/examples to illustrate your ideas or starting to write your essay. If you do not have to write about your opinion, you can continue to the next step – writing. However, if you are to give your opinion, think about details/examples to illustrate the advantages and disadvantages, and decide on your opinion as to whether the advantages outweigh the disadvantages or vice versa, or they are equally important. It is important to decide what you think before you start writing.
Step 3. Write your essay.
While writing the first type of advantages and disadvantages essay, where you only have to discuss them, you can keep looking back at the task and your plan to give relevant ideas. Choose the best ones only, i.e. those that you can support with details and provide good examples.
First, write the introduction where you have to paraphrase the statement and write what the essay will discuss. For the second type of essay, give your opinion in the introduction as well.
Next, write the main body:
- in body paragraph 1, give advantages (a topic sentence, two advantages and details/examples)
- in body paragraph 2, give disadvantages (a topic sentence, two advantages and details/examples)
Finally, write the conclusion where you have to summarise advantages and disadvantages. For the second type of essay, restate your opinion as well.
Step 4. Check your essay.
You should look for spelling mistakes, mistakes that you typically make, repetition of vocabulary and linkers etc. Recently, we have written about how to check your IELTS writing and shared a checklist for efficiently editing your writing. It is the fastest way to improve your band score within a few minutes.
READ ABOUT: 6 typical mistakes in IELTS essays
What will your essay look like if you follow our advice? Here are the two possible essay structures for your advantages and disadvantages essay:
In our course , we outline the possible structures of different types of essays, provide real examples and model answers. You will also learn and practise writing different parts of the essays step by step. Finally, you will write your own essays and get immediate feedback from our IELTS experts.
Now that you are more confident about IELTS advantages and disadvantages essays, you can practise with our platform and reach the desired band score.
Subscribe to our IELTS digest
– Useful tips to tackle true or false questions in IELTS Reading
– Tips for note completion questions in IELTS Listening
– Which part of IELTS Speaking is most important?
Download your Academic Writing Guide on how to use linking words
Your writing guide is in your inbox! Get studying now :)
Free IELTS lessons signup
- Academic practice
- General practice
- Task 1 Academic
- Task 1 General
- Task 2 (essay)
IELTS Writing: advantages & disadvantages essay
In this lesson you will learn how to produce a band 9 answer for advantages & disadvantages essay in IELTS Writing. As an example, we will use a topic of tourism in modern world . Basically, in all advantages and disadvantages essays your task is to describe positive and negative sides of a given topic + give your opinion.
In this lesson you will:
- see a question sample
- learn effective ways to quickly produce ideas for your answer
- learn band 9 answer structure
for advantages and disadvantages essay in IELTS.
IELTS advantages & disadvantages question sample
For example, you can get this question for IELTS writing task 2:
A lot of places in the world rely on tourism as a main source of income. Unfortunately, tourism can also be a source of problems if it is not managed correctly.
Describe the advantages and disadvantages of tourism in the modern world. Do you think that benefits of tourism outweight its drawbacks?
This essay topic is related to tourism. Of course, topics for questions will vary, but ideal answer structure is the same for all advantages & disadvantages essays in IELTS.
Producing ideas for your answer
Before you start writing your essay, you should always spend 1-2 minutes on producing ideas for your answer . This way, you’ll know what to write about and your answer will be more coherent and well-structured. In case of advantages & disadvantages essay , you need to think of 2-3 advantages and 2-3 disadvantages of the given issue.
Let’s think about advantages and disadvantages of tourism in the modern world.
Advantages of tourism :
- boost in country’s economy due to increased spending
- new job opening for local people
- opportunities to discover new places for individual travelers
Disadvantages of tourism :
- destruction of popular tourist destinations by large numbers of tourists
- development of illegal economic activities
- local people can experience loss of privacy
Now, after we’ve collected some ideas, it’s time to use them in our essay.
Band 9 answer structure for causes & solutions essay
Though there are many ways to structure your IELTS essay, we’ll use this time-tested band 9 essay structure:
- Body paragraph 1 – advantages
- Body paragraph 2 – disadvantages
Tip : before starting to write your essay, decide what you think: does tourism have more advantages or disadvantages? You’ll need to make accent on your opinion in one of the body paragraphs.
We’ll use the opinion that tourism has more advantages .
Introduction Write the introduction in 2 sentences:
- Sentence 1 - paraphrase the question (restate the problem):
Nowadays tourism generates a significant portion of national income for many countries, but it has certain drawbacks too.
- Sentence 2 - tell the examiner what you’re going to describe in your essay:
This essay will examine the advantages and disadvantages of tourism and provide a logical conclusion.
Body paragraph 1 - advantages
- Sentence 1 - state 2 main advantages:
The two main advantages of developed tourism industry are boost in country’s economy and a large number of new job openings for the local people.
- Sentences 2-4 - explain the first advantage + give an example (if possible):
Firstly, tourists spend money on a wide range of services, including hotels, amusements, transportation, food and medical services. This way, tourism yields an additional income, greatly supporting the countries’ economies.
- Sentences 5-7 - explain the second advantage + give an example (if possible):
Secondly, tourism increases the level of employment by bringing new jobs. For instance, the influx of tourists results in a larger demand in restaurant workers, tour guides, hotel staff and employees of retail services, exhorting business owners to hire more people for these positions.
- Sentence 1 - state 2 main disadvantages:
However, tourism also has some major disadvantages like destruction of popular tourist destinations and development of illegal economic activities.
- Sentences 2-4 - explain the first disadvantage + give an example (if possible):
Ancient buildings, temples and monuments struggle to cope with a vast amount of visitor’s traffic and get damaged. Also, the large number of tourists can cause environmental problems. For instance, when places of interest are overcrowded, natural resources often become overexploited.
- Sentences 5-7 - explain the second disadvantage + give an example (if possible):
What’s more, tourism can create more serious situations where criminal issues are involved. The presence of a considerable number of tourists with a lot of money to spend, and often carrying valuables such as cameras and jewelry, increases the attraction for criminals and brings with it activities like robbery and drug dealing.
- Sentences 8 - make an accent on your opinion (we’ll use the opinion that tourism has more advantages ):
However, proper hospitality management and correct usage of tourism revenue by the local government can eliminate these disadvantages.
- Sentences 1-2 - briefly restate the advantages and disadvantages
To conclude, although tourism has certain disadvantages like destructive effects and growth of crime rate, it has an extremely positive impact on country’s economy and provides a large number of new jobs for the local people.
- Sentence 2 - give your final opinion
I believe that these benefits of tourism outweigh its drawbacks.
Band 9 answer sample
Nowadays tourism generates a significant portion of national income for many countries, but it has certain drawbacks too. This essay will examine the advantages and disadvantages of tourism and provide a logical conclusion.
The two main advantages of developed tourism industry are boost in country’s economy and a large number of new job openings for the local people. Firstly, tourists spend money on a wide range of services, including hotels, amusements, transportation, food and medical services. This way, tourism yields an additional income, greatly supporting the country’s economy. Secondly, tourism increases the level of employment by bringing new jobs. For instance, the influx of tourists results in a larger demand in restaurant workers, tour guides, hotel staff and employees of retail services, exhorting business owners to hire more people for these positions.
But tourism also has some major disadvantages like destruction of popular tourist destinations and development of illegal economic activities. іAncient buildings, temples and monuments struggle to cope with a vast amount of visitor’s traffic and get damaged. Also, the large number of tourists can cause environmental problems. For instance, when places of interest are overcrowded, natural resources often become overexploited. What’s more, the presence of a considerable number of tourists with a lot of money to spend, and often carrying valuables such as cameras and jewelry, increases the attraction for criminals and brings with it activities like robbery and drug dealing. However, proper hospitality management and correct usage of tourism revenue by the local government can eliminate these disadvantages.
To conclude, although tourism can have certain negative effects like destructive impact and growth of crime rate, it has an extremely positive influence on country’s economy and provides a large number of new jobs for the local people. I believe that these benefits of tourism outweigh its drawbacks.
IELTS Advantages and Disadvantages Essays 2022 – Samples, Model Essays and Topics
Updated On Jul 14, 2022
- 1 Tips for Advantages and Disadvantages IELTS Essay
- 2.1 Introduction
- 2.2 Body paragraphs
- 3.1.1 Outline
- 3.2 Sample Answer
- 3.3.1 Outline
- 3.4 Sample Answer
- 4 Bonus Advantages and Disadvantages Essay Topics
In IELTS advantages and disadvantages essays, you will be asked to write the benefits and drawbacks of the topic given. You have to be careful that you write the advantages and disadvantages of the topic given and not your opinion about the topic. While explaining these kinds of essays, you can divide the content into 2 paragraphs. Paragraph 1 for Positive points and Paragraph 2 for negative points.
To help you to understand this type of essay better, given below are some tips and a sample essay with a detailed outline. Along with it, there are numerous advantages and disadvantages essays to help you practise during your preparation.
Tips for Advantages and Disadvantages IELTS Essay
Given below are some points which you can refer to:
- When the topic statement is given, you need to spend at least 5-10 minutes in understanding the benefits and the drawbacks related to the topic.
- Make sure that you have relevant points, supporting the topic. Do not get deviated from the topic.
- Make sure whatever you write is structured. Put the advantages of the topic in one paragraph and the disadvantages in a separate paragraph.
Structure of Advantage Disadvantage IELTS Essay
The IELTS Writing task 2 is considered as one of the most dreaded tasks across all other tasks by the IELTS aspirants. This task requires writing an essay encompassing various topics from all walks of life, right from social issues to workplace issues. These essays are of various types, including opinion essays, discussion essays, advantage-disadvantage essays, etc.
Now, we will see the structure of advantage-disadvantage essays and what should be the approach of writing one.
First of all, as soon as you get to know the topic, look for the pros and cons of the issue, consider the advantages and disadvantages of it and in your mind, contemplate the whip hand and downsides of it. Once you have a clear idea of what outweighs between the two of them, pick your side (in case you are asked to) and set out to write your essay.
Now, the first thing that you have to do is to write an introduction. Your introduction should paraphrase the topic of the essay and try to use different vocabulary/synonyms for the words in the topic, wherever possible.
Then, give a brief idea about what could be expected in the essay, i.e. the advantages and the disadvantages of the concerned topic and state which side you think weighs the most (when asked for an opinion.)
Body paragraph 1 should state the advantages of the topic. This should be backed by practical points, and the examples would be even better. Day-to-day incidents and instances can be brought to notice.
Body paragraph 2 should state the disadvantages of the topic. This as well, should be supported by valid points, and the daily incidents and examples can be highlighted to back your points.
Conclusion: Conclude the topic by providing a summary of the points put forth in the entire essay and how advantages or disadvantages of the topic outweighs the other (if applicable).
IELTS Actual Test Questions (February-March 2023)
IELTS Advantages and Disadvantages Essay Questions and Sample Answers
Given below are some sample questions for the advantages and disadvantages type of essay and band 9 methodologies of answering them.
Sample Question 1
More and more students are choosing to study at colleges and universities in a foreign country. Do the benefits of studying abroad outweigh the drawbacks?
Given below is a brief outline of what to write in the essay after identifying the essay type.
Advantages and Disadvantages Essay
- Paraphrase the topic of the essay
- Mention the contents of the subsequent paragraphs
Body Paragraph 1
- Foreign education has various advantages like better educational facilities, gaining valuable experience and international exposure. Studying abroad also opens up several high paying employment opportunities.
Body Paragraph 2
- Travelling abroad for educational purposes also has some disadvantages like increased tuition fees and living expenses. Other disadvantages include learning to live in a foreign society and prolonged periods of time away from home.
- Summarize the essay and mention the final view on the topic.
Foreign education has become one of the most sought after ventures in this day and age. A majority of students plan on pursuing higher education in a foreign nation, especially when it comes to a master’s degree. One of the reasons why studying abroad has become such a popular phenomenon is the relaxation of travel laws and procedures across the world. However, there are pros and cons to studying abroad and the following paragraphs, will explore the topic and elaborate on why the advantages outweigh the disadvantages.
One of the primary reasons for studying abroad is the presence of a more refined and sophisticated education system in several first world countries. It is common for students from underdeveloped or developing countries like Brazil, China, India, Argentina and other countries to look for better opportunities than the ones available in their native country in terms of academics. Also, residing in a foreign country helps individuals to gain international exposure and also helps them develop social and interpersonal skills, which are extremely important for being eligible for lucrative job opportunities..
Nevertheless, there are numerous drawbacks to travelling abroad for education. First of all, from the beginning of applying to a foreign university to staying in the host country for the entire duration of your degree, it is an exorbitant affair. Such a costly endeavour is often unaffordable for the household of many people. That being said, becoming accustomed to the norms and conventions of an unfamiliar country can be a tough ordeal for many due to differences in culture and social traditions.
Finally, I would like to conclude by saying that foreign education can be a blessing if it is financially feasible for aspiring students. That being said, the benefits of studying abroad surpass the drawbacks for the same.
Sample Question 2
What are the advantages and disadvantages of globalization? Do the benefits outweigh the drawbacks?
- Paraphrase the essay topic using synonyms for the words used in the question.
- Mention the contents of the following paragraphs.
- Globalisation has led to a lot of positive changes, especially in underdeveloped and developing countries. There has been an increase in employment opportunities, products and services are easily available to people around the world.
- Globalisation also has various disadvantages like the exploitation of cheap labour from developing countries and also the decline in quality of products and services.
- Summarize the topic and state the final view.
Globalisation has been one of the most significant phenomena in the last few decades, and it has changed several aspects of human society both economically and socially. There has been remarkable progress in terms of economic and financial development for developing countries due to the expansion of global organizations. However, there are several drawbacks to this rapid progress that need to be addressed. Evidently, globalization has more advantages than disadvantages and the following paragraphs, will elaborate on the topic and justify these views.
First of all, the most advantageous aspect of globalization is the advent of numerous international companies and franchises in developing countries. Ever since global brands and corporations have expanded their operations in countries such as India, China, Sri Lanka and many more, there has been a notable increase in employment in these countries. Additionally, due to the remarkable rise in the number of imports and exports, people from third world countries now have access to a vast catalogue of products and services that were previously unattainable.
That being said, there are drawbacks to globalization that create concerning issues for a sizeable portion of the global population. One of the most disturbing consequences faced is the exploitation of labour. Many corporations are known to outsource their operations to developing countries due to cheap labour costs. This enables them to accomplish their manufacturing operations without having to provide proper remuneration. Also, due to the use of inexpensive labour, the quality of products is diminished, and customers receive inferior products.
In conclusion, there is no doubt that the effects of globalization are not entirely positive or negative. Nonetheless, the benefits brought by this occupation outweigh the drawbacks.
- IELTS Writing Actual Test & Band 8.0 Advantage/Disadvantage Essay – Topic: Travel
- IELTS Writing Actual Test In 2016 & Band 8.0 Sample Advantage/Disadvantage Essays
- IELTS Advantage/Disadvantage Essay Of Band 8.5 – Topic: Traffic & Accommodation
- IELTS Writing Actual Test & Band 9.0 Advantage/Disadvantage Essay – Topic: Gap Year
- IELTS Writing Actual Test In April 2016 – Band 8.5 Advantage/Disadvantage Essay
- Academic IELTS Writing Task 2 Topic & Band 8.5 Advantage/Disadvantage Essay
- IELTS Writing Task 2 Advantage/Disadvantage Essay Of Band 8.0– Topic: Youth & Community
- IELTS Writing Actual Test In March 2016 & Band 8.0 Advantage & Disadvantage Samples
- Advantage/Disadvantage Essay – Topic: Students
- IELTS Writing Task 2 Topic in 2018 – advantages and disadvantages of modern Technology with Model Essay
Bonus Advantages and Disadvantages Essay Topics
- Is it good for children to start using computers from an early age and spend long hours on them? Discuss the advantages and disadvantages.
- What are the pros and cons for children of watching television? Give reasons for your answer and include any relevant example from your knowledge or experience.
- The internet has brought about many changes into our day-to-day life. Nowadays we are doing things such as mailing, contacting, banking and communication much faster. Do these developments have more advantages than disadvantages?
- The development of tourism contributed to English becoming the most prominent language in the world. Some people think this will lead to English becoming the only language to be spoken globally. What are the advantages and disadvantages to having one language in the world?
- At the present time, the population of some countries includes a relatively large number of young adults, compared with the number of older people. Do the advantages of this situation outweigh the disadvantages?
- These days, many people have their own computer and telephone, so it is quite easy for them to do their job at home. Does working at home have more advantages or more disadvantages?
- A lot of places in the world rely on tourism as a main source of income. Unfortunately, tourism can also be a source of problems if it is not managed correctly. Describe the advantages and disadvantages of tourism in the modern world. Do you think that benefits of tourism outweigh its drawbacks?
- Tests and examinations are a central feature of school systems in many countries. Do you think the educational benefits of testing outweigh any disadvantages. Give reasons for your answer.
- What do you think are the strengths and weakness of the education system in your country. Use your own experience to support your idea.
- In the last decade, there has been a great increase in the number and variety of online courses available to adults. This has been welcomed as a great opportunity by many students, however, other students see these courses as less effective than classroom teaching. What are the advantages and disadvantages of studying an online course?
- Some parents buy their children a large number of toys to play with. What are the advantages and disadvantages for the child of having a large number of toys?
- Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of studying abroad/working abroad for a period of time.
- In some countries, more and more adults are living with their parents after graduating from college , University or even after finding a job. Do the advantages of this outweigh disadvantages?
- Every year large numbers of people migrate from one country to another for different reasons. Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of migration for the individual and for society as a whole.
- Nowadays online shopping becomes more popular than in-store shopping. Is it a positive or a negative development? Give your reasons and examples.
- Describe the advantages and disadvantages of living in a large city.
- Some companies and organizations require their employees to wear uniform. What are the advantages and disadvantages of wearing uniform?
- IELTS Writing tips
- IELTS Writing recent actual test
- IELTS Writing Answer sheet
Frequently Asked Questions
What is an advantage/disadvantage essay? How do you identify that the essay falls under this category?
What is the structure of an advantage/disadvantage essay?
Is it mandatory to put advantages and disadvantages separately in two paragraphs or can I club them?
In case of questions where advantages outweigh disadvantages, I might have to write disadvantages first? Will it affect my score?
In the conclusion part of the advantage/disadvantage essay, is it ok to support one side?
Explore IELTS Writing
Janet had been an IELTS Trainer before she dived into the field of Content Writing. During her days of being a Trainer, Janet had written essays and sample answers which got her students an 8+ band in the IELTS Test. Her contributions to our articles have been engaging and simple to help the students understand and grasp the information with ease. Janet, born and brought up in California, had no idea about the IELTS until she moved to study in Canada. Her peers leaned to her for help as her first language was English.
Explore other Advantage Disadvantage Essays
Post your Comments
Posted on May 29, 2022
Nowadays, studying abroad is a new trend among students. Undoubtedly, there are positive and negative aspects of studying in a foreign country. However, the benefits of attending colleges and universities in a foreign country outweigh the drawbacks. The next couple of paragraphs will explain the topic and justify these viewpoints.
To begin with, studying abroad has several advantages for students. For instance, a student who is studying in a foreign country will probably improve language skills better than others. Learning a foreign language is extremely significant in a global environment. Moreover, living outside of a home country will enhance students’ worldview thanks to the culture of the host country. Therefore, it can be said that studying abroad paws the way for great career options.
However, there are undesired sides to education in a foreign state. One of them is education expenditure. Studying abroad might be expensive. Thus, it might lead to a huge economic burden for both student and his family. When a student moves to another country for education, he must face several challenges caused by living alone. For instance, some students might have some psychological problems during the first couple of weeks following their move. It can be claimed that being homesick is a common problem among young students.
In conclusion, having a graduate degree from a foreign country has both negative and positive sides. Although there are significant advantages, the benefits of studying abroad surpass the drawbacks for the same.
Posted on May 30, 2022
Band Score – 6
Concentrate on the correct usage of quantifiers and subject-verb agreement.
In some places words are used incorrectly, pay attention to them.
Use C2 level of words.
Posted on Oct 25, 2021
Parents tend to give the children better resources as compared to their own childhood. This way they also feel compensated in the process while bringing up their own child. While having a huge collection of toys to play with is not all that bad, at the same time can lead to some issues.
Firstly, having a diversity in the range of toys have multiple benefits. The child can learn how to manage or organize better. Varied exposure to different themes of toys makes one more aware.
Secondly, sharing can also develop social skills among the child’s friend circle. To get hands-on-experience with toys such as Rubix’s cube, puzzles hone mental capacity of the kid. Similarly, educational and infotainment toys help shape likes and dislikes, opinions, communication skills. Thus, caters to holistic development which is often a cause of worry for parents.
On the other hand, if the child is given more and more, this may result in losing the value of individual toy. Not only is this expenditure wasteful but also teaching consumerist tendencies to the child. Perhaps unconsciously the child stops valuing his toys and takes them for granted in desire for more.
To have enough needs to be inculcated rather than frivolous costs being incurred. The parents need to be also mindful of teaching holistic habits like outdoor games, reading, painting apart from playing with toys for all round development.
Having many toys is also burdensome when it comes to maintenance. If that could be sorted then it’s much easier to assemble and play as per the child’s convenience. Gifting once in a while is a good option to keep the spirits of the child happy.
Posted on Nov 13, 2021
If you would have presented this same as a 4 paragraph structure and added the conclusion you would have score 7 easily.
Overall band: 5
Coherence: It is better to follow a 4 paragraph structure so that it is easy for the examiner to mark you for coherence. Conclusion is missing in your essay. Conclusion is where you sum up and restate points.
IELTSMaterial Master Program
1:1 Live Training with Band 9 Teachers
4.9 ( 3452 Reviews )
Pride Hulkul 6th floor no 116 Lalbagh Road, Bangalore, Karnataka 560027
- +91 8929053019
- [email protected]
H-4-6, 1st Floor , Model Town II. Block Z2, near Mc Donalds, Delhi - 110009
2nd floor, Unit No 202, Gera Serenity, Wanowrie, Pune 411001
The Executive Zone 766 Annai Salai, Chennai, Tamil Nadu, 600002
38, GN/5, GN Block, Sector V, Bidhannagar, Kolkata, West Bengal 700091
Reliance Humsafar,Door No.8-2-618/2/201,Road No.11,Banjara Hills, Hyderabad 500034
BPTP Centra one, Golf Course Extension Road Baharampur Naya, Sector 61, Ghata, 122102
Kaledonia, RedBrick Offices Ltd, 1st Floor, A Wing Main Door, Cabin No.11, Sahar Road, Opp. DMART, Andheri East, Mumbai - 400069
Another possible way to structure your advantage/disadvantage essay is this; You may want to add paragraphs to explain further advantages or disadvantages, but there should be only one main idea in each main body paragraph. Don’t list all of your advantages/disadvantages in one paragraph. Introduction. Paragraph 1 – Describe an advantage.
There is more than one way to structure your advantage/disadvantage essay. You could take a thesis-led (opinion in the introduction) or an evidence-led (opinion in your conclusion). You could also choose to focus on one or more than one advantage/disadvantage in each of your main body paragraphs.
List of Advantages and Disadvantages Essay Topics Here’s a list of topics that touch on subjects such as education, work, traveling, living conditions, family, politics, technology, and more. Advantages and disadvantages of computers. You can probably think of many positive aspects of using computers.
Here are some possible disadvantages of essay writing: Writers need to have a clear organizational plan Structure and placement are essential to the flow of the essay's points and topics Writers will need to have a clear conclusion and thesis statement outlining the entire essay's topics and thoughts
There are at least two different ways to write an advantages and disadvantages essay. However, we suggest the best and the easiest ones to complete the task if you get in your IELTS exam. Step 1. Analyse the task. Do not start writing immediately. First, read the statement and underline key information.
This essay will examine the advantages and disadvantages of tourism and provide a logical conclusion. The two main advantages of developed tourism industry are boost in country’s economy and a large number of new job openings for the local people.
Structure of Advantage Disadvantage IELTS Essay The IELTS Writing task 2 is considered as one of the most dreaded tasks across all other tasks by the IELTS aspirants. This task requires writing an essay encompassing various topics from all walks of life, right from social issues to workplace issues.