Conjugation verb essayer in French
Model : marcher / balayer
Auxiliary : avoir
Other forms: s'essayer / ne pas essayer / ne pas s'essayer
The regular verbs of the 1st group follow this conjugation model (verbs ending in -er). Verbs ending in -ayer follow at the same time this model (il balaye) and the model of balayer (il balaie)
The verb has several variants of conjugation, which may correspond to different meanings. Please use the menu to select one or all variants.
- il/elle essaye
- nous essayons
- vous essayez
- ils/elles essayent
- il/elle essaie
- ils/elles essaient
- j' essayais
- tu essayais
- il/elle essayait
- nous essayions
- vous essayiez
- ils/elles essayaient
- j' essayerai
- tu essayeras
- il/elle essayera
- nous essayerons
- vous essayerez
- ils/elles essayeront
- j' essaierai
- tu essaieras
- il/elle essaiera
- nous essaierons
- vous essaierez
- ils/elles essaieront
- il/elle essaya
- nous essayâmes
- vous essayâtes
- ils/elles essayèrent
- j' ai essayé
- tu as essayé
- il/elle a essayé
- nous avons essayé
- vous avez essayé
- ils/elles ont essayé
- j' avais essayé
- tu avais essayé
- il/elle avait essayé
- nous avions essayé
- vous aviez essayé
- ils/elles avaient essayé
- j' eus essayé
- tu eus essayé
- il/elle eut essayé
- nous eûmes essayé
- vous eûtes essayé
- ils/elles eurent essayé
- j' aurai essayé
- tu auras essayé
- il/elle aura essayé
- nous aurons essayé
- vous aurez essayé
- ils/elles auront essayé
- que j' essaye
- que tu essayes
- qu' il/elle essaye
- que nous essayions
- que vous essayiez
- qu' ils/elles essayent
- que j' essaie
- que tu essaies
- qu' il/elle essaie
- qu' ils/elles essaient
- que j' essayasse
- que tu essayasses
- qu' il/elle essayât
- que nous essayassions
- que vous essayassiez
- qu' ils/elles essayassent
- que j' eusse essayé
- que tu eusses essayé
- qu' il/elle eût essayé
- que nous eussions essayé
- que vous eussiez essayé
- qu' ils/elles eussent essayé
- que j' aie essayé
- que tu aies essayé
- qu' il/elle ait essayé
- que nous ayons essayé
- que vous ayez essayé
- qu' ils/elles aient essayé
- j' essayerais
- tu essayerais
- il/elle essayerait
- nous essayerions
- vous essayeriez
- ils/elles essayeraient
- j' essaierais
- tu essaierais
- il/elle essaierait
- nous essaierions
- vous essaieriez
- ils/elles essaieraient
Passé première forme
- j' aurais essayé
- tu aurais essayé
- il/elle aurait essayé
- nous aurions essayé
- vous auriez essayé
- ils/elles auraient essayé
Passé deuxième forme
- j' eusse essayé
- tu eusses essayé
- il/elle eût essayé
- nous eussions essayé
- vous eussiez essayé
- ils/elles eussent essayé
- ayant essayé
- masc.sg.: essayé
- masc.pl.: essayés
- fém.sg.: essayée
- fém.pl.: essayées
- ayons essayé
- ayez essayé
- avoir essayé
Online Language Dictionaries
Formes composées / compound tenses, conditionnel.
*Blue letters in conjugations are irregular forms. ( example ) *Red letters in conjugations are exceptions to the model. ( example ) *Grayed conjugations are forms that are extremely rare.
Report a problem.
French Verb Conjugation Using "Essayer" (to Try)
Erica Shires / Getty Images
- Pronunciation & Conversation
- Resources For Teachers
The French verb essayer means "to try." It's a simple word that can easily be confused with essuyer (to wipe) , so be sure to look and listen for that 'A' in essayer .
In order to place essayer into the past, present, or future tense, the verb needs to be conjugated . Just follow along in this lesson and you'll be saying "tried" and "trying" in French before you know it.
Conjugating the French Verb Essayer
Essayer is an optional stem-changing verb . Typically with verbs that end in - yer , the 'Y' has to change to an 'I' in certain forms. The rules are a little more casual with essayer as you'll see in the table. When there are two forms of the conjugation, you can use either.
The stem of essayer is essay -. To this, a variety of infinitive endings is added that conform with the subject pronoun as well as the tense of the sentence. For instance, "I try" is " j'essaie " or " j'essaye ." Similarly, there are two options for "we will try": " nous essaierons " or " nous essayerons ."
All this leaves you with many words to memorize. The good news is that there are many opportunities to practice it and use essayer as you "try" things throughout your day.
The Present Participle of Essayer
The present participle of essayer is essayant . This is as simple as adding - ant to the verb stem. Not only does it work as a verb, but it can also become an adjective, gerund, or noun when needed.
The Past Participle and Passé Composé
The past participle essayé is used to form the passé composé , a common past tense form of "tried" in French. To use this, you'll also need to conjugate the auxiliary verb avoir . For example, "I tried" is " j'ai essayé " and "we tried" is " nous avons essayé ."
More Simple Essayer Conjugations to Know
When the action of trying is in some way questionable, you can turn to the subjunctive verb mood . Similarly, if it's dependent on something, the conditional verb mood is used.
With less frequency, you will come across the passé simple or the imperfect subjunctive . These are mostly found in formal writing and will help considerably with reading comprehension.
To use essayer in commands or direct requests, turn to the imperative verb form . When using this, the subject pronoun is not required: use " essaie " instead of " tu essaie ."
- How to Conjugate "Débarrasser" (to Clear, to Rid of)
By clicking “Accept All Cookies”, you agree to the storing of cookies on your device to enhance site navigation, analyze site usage, and assist in our marketing efforts.
- Essayer conjugation table
- Essayer conjugation rules
- Essayer synonyms
Essayer french definition
Essayer conjugation in all forms, essayer conjugation in all tenses.
- Essayer : verbs with similar conjugation
- Essayer conjugation in indicative
- Essayer conjugation in present indicative
- Essayer conjugation in present perfect indicative
- Essayer conjugation in imperfect indicative
- Essayer conjugation in pluperfect indicative
- Essayer conjugation in simple past indicative
- Essayer conjugation in past perfect indicative
- Essayer conjugation in simple future indicative
- Essayer conjugation in future perfect indicative
- Essayer conjugation in subjunctive
- Essayer conjugation in present subjunctive
- Essayer conjugation in past subjunctive
- Essayer conjugation in imperfect subjunctive
- Essayer conjugation in pluperfect subjunctive
- Essayer conjugation in conditional
- Essayer conjugation in present conditional
- Essayer conjugation in past conditional
- Essayer conjugation in imperative
- Essayer conjugation in present imperative
- Essayer conjugation in past imperative
- Infinitive of french verb Essayer
- Present infinitive of french verb Essayer
- Past infinitive of french verb Essayer
- Participle of french verb essayer
- Present participle of french verb essayer
- Past participle of french verb essayer
- Gerundive of french verb essayer
- Present gerundive of french verb essayer
- Past gerundive of french verb essayer
Common french verbs
- French Conjugation Rules
- French Tenses
- French Verbs
French Auxiliaries Verbs
- French First Group Verbs
- French Second Group Verbs
- French Third Group Verbs
- Most Common French Verbs
- Avoir conjugation
- Être conjugation
- Aimer conjugation
- Manger conjugation
- Finir conjugation
- Partir conjugation
- Aller conjugation
- Faire conjugation
- Dire conjugation
- Lire conjugation
- Voir conjugation
- Venir conjugation
- Pouvoir conjugation
- Prendre conjugation
- Vouloir conjugation
- Devoir conjugation
- Savoir conjugation
- Mettre conjugation
- Present Indicative
- Imperfect Indicative
- Simple Past Indicative
- Simple Future Indicative
- Present Perfect Indicative
- Pluperfect Indicative
- Past Perfect Indicative
- Future Perfect Indicative
- Present Subjunctive
- Past Subjunctive
- Imperfect Subjunctive
- Pluperfect Subjunctive
- Present Conditional
- Past Conditional
- Present Imperative
- Past Imperative
- French Conjugation
- Essayer conjugation
Conjugation of french verb essayer
Present perfect, simple past, past perfect, simple future, future perfect, subjunctive, conditional, essayer french verb, conjugation rules, reflexive form:, negative form:, interrogative form:.
- Essayer french verb conjugation rules
Essayer french synonyms
- Essayer similar verbs conjugation
This is the list of essayer french verb synonyms :
Active voice conjugation
Passive voice conjugation, reflexive form conjugation, similar verbs conjugation.
Here is the full list of verbs sharing the same verb conjugation :
List of verbs used as patterns in french conjugation:
Most common first group verbs
Most common second group verbs, most common third group verbs.
Contact us :
- Conjugation essayer
- Exercise essayer
Conjugation French verb essayer
Translation essayer, indicatif (indicative), présent (present), passé composé (present perfect), imparfait (imperfect), plus-que-parfait (pluperfect), passé simple (simple past), passé antérieur (past perfect), futur simple (future), futur antérieur (past future), conditionnel (conditional), passé (perfect), subjonctif (subjunctive), passé (past), impératif (imperative), infinitif (infinitive), participe (participle), gérondif (gerund), synonyms for the verb essayer.
Conjugation of the French verb essayer
Stack Exchange Network
Stack Exchange network consists of 181 Q&A communities including Stack Overflow , the largest, most trusted online community for developers to learn, share their knowledge, and build their careers.
French Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the French language. It only takes a minute to sign up.
Q&A for work
Connect and share knowledge within a single location that is structured and easy to search.
Essayer: j'essaie, or j'essaye?
I was confused how I should conjugate the verb essayer , or any other ones like nettoyer .
I looked up in a conjugation website,
J'essaie / ye
I'm guessing that means both j'essaie and j'essaye are accepted. However, my teacher said to use j'essaie .
Which one is correct? If both are accepted, is there any difference?
- 2 In newspaper and other media, you will find: essaie. Go with what your teacher said. – Lambie Jan 17, 2017 at 21:45
- 1 Yes, even if both are correct, the -aie form is much more common. – biozic Jan 17, 2017 at 22:12
- Do you guys have hard data about that? – Frank Jan 17, 2017 at 22:23
- According to ngram, the they are very close . – Teleporting Goat Jan 18, 2017 at 15:07
- @TeleportingGoat I think it's due to the fact that you chose "English"... if you choose "French" for the "corpus", then the result is significantly different... – Yai0Phah Jan 22, 2017 at 17:50
It looks like both are in regular use today, and that this is also the case for "payer", "balayer", as well as any other verb in "-ayer". I am not aware of any rule mandating to use one rather than the other when writing vs. speaking.
The pronunciation is slightly different though: "j'essaye" would sound at the end like "pareil", whereas "j'essaie" would sound like "sait".
I am not aware that one pronunciation or the other would have this or that connotation. It is even possible for native speakers to use both in the same conversation.
Sign up or log in, post as a guest.
Required, but never shown
Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged verbes conjugaison or ask your own question .
- Featured on Meta
- We've added a "Necessary cookies only" option to the cookie consent popup
Hot Network Questions
- How to calculate lattice parameter?
- Is it correct to use "the" before "materials used in making buildings are"?
- The region and polygon don't match. Is it a bug?
- What is the purpose of this D-shaped ring at the base of the tongue on my hiking boots?
- My code is GPL licensed, can I issue a license to have my code be distributed in a specific MIT licensed project?
- How can I find out which sectors are used by files on NTFS?
- QGIS - Countif function
- Copyright issues when journal is defunct
- What is the correct way to screw wall and ceiling drywalls?
- Why do many companies reject expired SSL certificates as bugs in bug bounties?
- Why are non-Western countries siding with China in the UN?
- Styling contours by colour and by line thickness in QGIS
- Theoretically Correct vs Practical Notation
- What is a word for the arcane equivalent of a monastery? A place where magic is studied and practiced?
- Largest Binary Area
- How to react to a student’s panic attack in an oral exam?
- How do I connect these two faces together?
- Minimising the environmental effects of my dyson brain
- ncdu: What's going on with this second size column?
- How is Jesus "υἱὸς ὑψίστου κληθήσεται" (Luke 1:32 NAS28) different from a prophet (παιδίον, προφήτης ὑψίστου κληθήσῃ Luke 1:76 NAS28)?
- What's the difference between a power rail and a signal line?
- Is there a single-word adjective for "having exceptionally strong moral principles"?
- Knocking Out Zombies
- Does a summoned creature play immediately after being summoned by a ready action?
French Conjugate essayer try; attempt; test; ... Infinitif essayer Participe Présent essayant Participe Passé essayé Model : marcher / balayer Auxiliary : avoir Other forms: s'essayer / ne pas essayer / ne pas s'essayer Advertising Indicatif Présent j'essaye tu essayes il/elle essaye nous essayons vous essayez ils/elles essayent j'essaie tu essaies
j' essaie tu essaies il/elle essaie nous essayons vous essayez ils/elles essaient Present Perfect j' ai essayé tu as essayé il/elle a essayé nous avons essayé vous avez essayé ils/elles ont essayé Imperfect j' essayais tu essayais il/elle essayait nous essayions vous essayiez ils/elles essayaient Future
French Verb Conjugation / Conjugaison de Verbes. ... essayer essayant essayé s'essayer ⇒ ... *Grayed conjugations are forms that are extremely rare.
The French verb essayer means "to try." It's a simple word that can easily be confused with essuyer (to wipe), so be sure to look and listen for that 'A' in essayer . In order to place essayer into the past, present, or future tense, the verb needs to be conjugated.
Essayer is conjugated with auxiliary avoir. Essayer verb is direct transitive. French verb essayer can be conjugated in the reflexive form: S'essayer Essayer verb is a direct transitive verb, so passive voice can be used. Conjugation rules Essayer is a french first group verb.
Conjugation French verb essayer 1st group verb - essayer is a direct transtive verb essayer to the pronominal form : s'essayer Auxiliary verb used with essayer : avoir essayer feminine | essayer passive voice | essayer feminine passive voice Translation essayer essayer to try Indicatif (Indicative) Présent (Present) j'essa ie /essa ye
Conjugation of the French verb essayer A list of the common conjugations for the French verb essayer, along with their English translations. essayer is a regular verb Verb phrases More verbs Learn these with Swap Q/A
The pronunciation is slightly different though: "j'essaye" would sound at the end like "pareil", whereas "j'essaie" would sound like "sait". I am not aware that one pronunciation or the other would have this or that connotation. It is even possible for native speakers to use both in the same conversation. Share. Improve this answer.